Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Out 2 Lunch Thanksgiving - A Tale of Two Tables

Thanksgiving is coming, and we here at Out 2 Lunch are prepping our tables for dinners and gatheringsSo, what are we decorating with?


Common Themes: Pumpkins, Berries, Acorns, other Natural Elements (leaves, seed pods).  But how we each use those elements?  And what tones/colors they are?....

milk glass, mercury glass, vintage glam table
Christine:  My table mixes my love of vintage elements with my love of glam.  One of my favorite decorating looks mixes white vintage milk glass with mercury glass for lots of sparkle and shine.  With all that shiny metallic, what better to soften the look and add more glam texture than this fabulous table runner edged in white feathers!  I just recently came across this shopping, and absolutely could not resist it!  Keep watch, this one will show up in various places throughout the holidays.  

My center bowl I filled with "natural" pieces, with a bit of a twist.  I have two small handmade fabric pumpkins, as well as a handful of handmade matching acorns.  The shiny and matte silver fabrics tie in with all the mercury glass.  Under the pumpkins and acorns are my gold magnolia seed pods.  These are a favorite decorating item for me, always located somewhere about my house.  Growing up in the south, I had a couple of huge, old magnolia trees in my yard as a child.  These were my climbing trees.  I could frequently be found 20+ feet up in the air, lounging on branches, reading or day dreaming.  Needless to say, magnolia's have always held a special place in my heart. 
hand made pumpkins, magnolia seed pods - c/o Out 2 Lunch
A couple years ago on a hike, I happened to find a number of fallen magnolia seed pods in good condition.  I brought them home, dried them and then spray painted them antique gold.  I absolutely love the shape and intriguing look of the pods, and rotate them around regularly between bowls and centerpieces.  The antique gold gives them a lovely shine and really brings out the spiky texture in them.  So my table incorporates a lot of sparkle and shine, glam textures, and vintage and handmade items which are special to me, allowing me to share those pieces with the special people in my life.  Happy Thanksgiving!


StacyTo me, fall, and Thanksgiving in particular, has a very warm and organic vibe. It is about the changing of the seasons, the colors of the leaves and the nip of cold in the air. I combat the chill (with which I have a love/hate relationship) by creating a tablescape filled with rich, warm colors.  I picked up these cornucopia years ago, when I was newly married, and they have been featured in various locations of our fall décor over time. This year, as we adjust to our move, they needed a new home. I chose to make them the focal point, and build my centerpiece around them. They are filled with fall fruits and vegetables, and provide a great opportunity to discuss early American life with my children (who are studying the complicated relationship between the Jamestown Settlers and the Powhatan Indians in Virginia Studies). 

Did you notice some of those small fabric pumpkins we made this fall managed to transition into both of our centerpiece designs? My pumpkins were a beach color scheme, but this one just happened to work - the fabric had a rustic organic feel, that was the perfect compliment to my design!  Completely unplanned, but talk about a versatile little decor piece!  Follow THIS TUTORIAL to make your own.  


Wishing a Wonderful, Joyful Thanksgiving for all! 

Cheers,
Christine & Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment