Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Up-Cycled Fur Seat Tips and Tricks!

What does an old vanity seat + a clearance pillow make? 

A Super Fun Fur Seat!!

I love, love, love the fluffy, fur seats and stools trend I've been seeing everywhere!  But, while they are super-fun, they are also more "accent" pieces, and therefore, not super-high on the budget priority list, (much to my fluffy seat-wanting regret).  So...I had decided a while ago, that I would have to find an in-expensive way to make one.  Covering a stool or chair seat is a very simple process.  I won't go into tons of detail here, as there are many, many chair/stool seat covering tutorials already in existence all over pinterest.  As I was on the lookout for something in-expensive, (key being in-expensive), that probably meant I would not be buying something new; fine by me, as I like to up-cycle and re-create things.  Finding the right piece however, that was a bit more difficult.

One Saturday, for fun, my son and I walked up the street to an estate sale that we happened to see going on.  While poking around, over in a corner, I spotted this cute little seat, in need of love, for $4!  With it's retro looking metal tube frame, I knew - this was my seat!  Fluffy fur, here we come!!  note: If you listen carefully, you can probably still hear my husband's groan as I came walking back up the driveway toting my ragged little seat. lolol

The first steps were easy - take it all apart, unscrew it, remove the old staples, fabric, foam, and seat board.
The whole seat needed sanding to remove the old, chipping paint and to prep for new paint.  I used a metal spray primer, plus two coats of my favorite "old gold" color spray paint to re-do it.  For the seat itself, I decided to get some new foam cut, but use the existing wood seat board.

Then the search was on for fur.  Fur fabric is not cheap!  In between looking at various fabric stores, I happened to run through Target for some house-hold goods.  As I was passing the pillows section, the lovely large fur pillows On Clearance, caught my eye.  I realized I could by a pillow large enough to cover my seat on clearance, for less than buying new fur fabric! 

Home I went with my pillow!

I cut a slit in the back of the pillow (this pillow had fur on both sides), un-stuffed it, then stuffed my foam and seat board in, pulling it tight and stapling the excess fabric to the board underneath.
Voila! Fur Seat!!  Re-assemble the pieces, screwing everything back together and you now have a super-fun, fur seat!




And this just makes me smile every time I look at it!  If this gives you any ideas or bit of up-cycling inspiration, I'd love to hear about them in the comments!

Cheers,
Christine













 More random in process pics:

No comments:

Post a Comment